National Animal Supplement Council (NASC)
Ensuring our products are backed by not only years of research and experience but also a solid source of quality assurance is paramount. Thus, Fidobiotics is a proud member of the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC). The NASC is a non-profit group dedicated to protecting and enhancing the health of companion animals (yes, this means your doggie).
Fidobiotics is both honored and privileged of being able to provide the NASC Quality Seal and display it on all of our fetching good dog probiotic products for the benefit of our customers and partners. We are also happy to report that Fidobiotics and its manufacturing facilities have been audited and maintain a current status with the NASC and a recipient of their 2016 Visibility Award.
About the NASC:
The NASC was formed in 2002 in response to a public announcement that many products marketed as nutritional products for animals were going to be targeted and removed from sale. These included products for specific health purposes like Joint, Liver, Kidney, Cardiovascular, Eye health, etc. Many of the products targeted contained popular ingredients like Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Hyaluronic Acid, MSM, Co-Q10, many herbal ingredients and antioxidants.
The NASC works in the best interest of animals. They have worked to cooperatively engage state and federal regulatory agencies and organizations. They regularly recommend regulatory policy to constructively address this issue and define parameters for responsible conduct within the industry that would be in the best interests of all stakeholders
As part of the ongoing effort to improve and standardize the animal health supplement industry, NASC initiated the Quality Seal Program to improve and bring standardization to the animal health and supplement industry. The Seal is a way for consumers to know that when they buy a product, they buy from a reputable company that has successfully completed a facility audit and adhere to the implementation of specific standards outlined by the NASC.
Since the founding of the NASC organization, some of their accomplishments include:
- NASC represents the majority of the industry selling supplements for dogs, cats and horses in the US
- Stabilized the regulatory environment to ensure products remain available in the market place
- We have defined Good Manufacturing Practice Standards for our members
- We have established labeling claims guidance similar to those for human dietary supplements
- Established the leading Adverse Event Reporting System in the World for animal supplement products
- Worked cooperatively with the Canadian Regulatory Authorities to help define their Veterinary Natural Health Products Program (vNHP) requirements
- Implemented the NASC Quality Seal Audit Verification Program
- Conducted independent product testing for 100s of products to ensure they meet label claim
- Conducted random Adverse Event Report Testing to ensure compliance
- Highly active in Washington DC for responsible industry awareness
- Published research database for ingredient usage and benefits
- Developed Preferred Supplier Program for total supply chain management and sourcing
- Established independent Scientific Advisory Committee of leading experts
- Conduct continuing educational programs for industry participants, business partners and regulatory personnel
- Launched educational web sites for dog, cat and horse owners:
- And many others
“I am often asked why we started NASC and why someone should look for products with the NASC Quality Seal?” says Bill Bookout, NASC’s President. “2 reasons come to mind. First: confidence in the quality of the product someone selects, and second, because NASC Members, through our efforts contribute to a cause greater than their own companies self-interest. We make a difference for everyone involved in responsibly providing supplements, most importantly the animals themselves.”